Socioeconomic profile of Verdun
Located in the Wellington-De L’Église sector of Verdun, Toujours ensemble meets the varied needs of a particularly underprivileged clientele in Greater Montreal that experiences a high degree of social, academic, family and cultural problems.
SNAPSHOT of the territory*
Stable population: 66,000 people live in the borough
A borough made up of three sectors with high sociodemographic contrasts :
- The Wellington-De L’Église sector is known particularly for the vulnerability of its residents.
Low incomes are more common in Wellington-De L’Église than Verdun as a whole, especially among youth :
- 25% of people in Verdun and MOntreal have a low income, whereas this rate reaches 32% in Wellington-De L’Église.
- Chez Among people under 18, the percentage rises to 41% in Wellington-De L’Église and 31% in Verdun, compared to 28% in Montreal.
Single parents are very common across Verdun, particularly in the Wellington-De L’Église sector :
- 39% of families with children in Verdun and 46% in the Wellington sector are single parent families (33% for the Island of Montreal). Wellington-De L’Église has one of the highest rates of single parents on the Island of Montreal.
Youth (0 à 14 ans) / 15.2% on the Island of Montreal
Families with children / 62.8% on the Island of Montreal
People 15 and older without a diploma or degree (low education level)/ 18.9% on the Island of Montreal
New immigrants / 8.3% on the Island of Montreal
Immigrants / 33.2% on the Island of Montreal
*Source : 2014 Verdun Territorial Analysis, Centraide of Greater Montreal. Sociodemographic and economic data : 2011 Census, National Household Survey, and the Québec Survey of Child Development in Kindergarten (QSCDK), 2012
SNAPSHOT of Te
- Girls 52%
- Boys 48%
- Elementary students 32%
- High school students 68%
- High school students are enrolled in the Passeport pour ma réussite program 63%
- Youth don’t speak French at home 30.5%
- Youth live in the Wellington-De L’Église neighborhood 74.4%
- Youth live in the Desmarchais-Crawford neighborhood 20%
- Youth live outside of Verdun 5,5%
- Residents report being of sole Canadian or Quebec descent 59%
- Report being of mixed descent (Canadian or other) or of foreign descent 41%
- Youth are born in Canada 74%
- Youth are born outside of Canada 26%
of our members born outside of Canada come from